Friday, June 22, 2012

Unrelenting heat and humidity

 Our weather has been hazy, hot and humid recently or as they say in these parts, the three "h's".  There have been short walks during the day at work this week but only for my 15 minute breaks.  No walks in the evening until tonight.  My walking buddy, R, called on her way home and we are walking at 7PM.  Skies were gray and the wind blew on the way home and once I got home.  Strong thunderstorms were forecast but they have since passed.  It's much cooler since these storms moved by and we're hoping to get a walk in without getting wet.

 
Mr P trimmed back our fig tree before winter last year quite a bit.  There is a lot of new growth and the leaves are big and beautiful but the figs are few and far between right now.  Can you see the tiny one in the crook of the leaf below?  Keep your fingers crossed that lots appear and have a chance to mature before cold weather sets in.
Until about 10 years ago, I had never tasted a fresh fig.  We have friends from Greece who gave us the tree to plant and my first taste of a fresh fig.  I was hooked and the last four years harvest have been wonderful.



The bunny pictured is one of the infamous munchers in my garden which is where is was leaving when I took the picture.  He favors my leaf lettuce but I've still managed to get enough to supplement my salads during the week.  


The weekend is to be less humid and cooler which is a relief.  Breakfast tomorrow with a sister whose birthday is on Sunday.  Hope you have a good weekend wherever you are.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment