Sunday, June 3, 2012

Tah Dah!!!

My Mom came down yesterday afternoon to work on the jig saw puzzle and have dinner with Mr P and me.  As you can see, we finished the puzzle we started quite some time ago. If you look closely there are two pieces missing around the frogs.  We were missing three pieces when we finished up about 9:30PM last evening.  After a search, I found one in the track of the sliding glass doors next to where the table sits during hiatus.  The other two have yet to be located and may well have been eaten by the Dyson when I was cleaning.  As Mom stated, "Even with the two pieces missing, the puzzle is a beauty."  Next up on the agenda is a Charles Wysocki primitive scene that I bought at the library's semi-annual book sale which began yesterday.



The pea vines have started to produce peas and the colander holds the first official picking.  When I was young, we grew an extensive garden which provided all our produce that my Mom canned for the winter use.  There were traditional ways that "first pickings" were always prepared and the one for the first mess of sugar peas was to make cubed, creamed potatoes with peas.  I love them prepared this way, but when I asked Mr P if he wanted a baked potato and sugar peas on the side to go with the barbecued spare ribs for lunch today or creamed potatoes and peas, he opted for baked potato so baked it was.



The sugar snap peas were scrumdillicious stir fried lightly in some olive oil and lightly salted.  


Memorial Day weekend was hot, sticky and humid.  My lettuce is still doing okay but my radishes bolted in the heat.  Mr P pulled them out this morning and I managed to salvage about a dozen radishes that will be sliced on my salads for lunches at work this week.  The bushy plants directly behind him are the two rows of potatoes that we will harvest later this season.



For Mother's Day this year, Only Daughter and her family sent me gardening goodies.  One item was a garden box with soil and three different seeds to grow as micro greens.  My first planting is ready to be cut and sprinkled over salads.  These will partner with my radishes and other veggie delights for my lunches this week.  I have enough seeds to have second go round with planting.  The seed varieties are peas, carrots and cabbage.  They also sent me a large variety of herb seeds to plant that are in the seedling stage right now.
 We are to have rain here again starting this evening for the next few days. Right now the sun is out and it's pleasantly cool so I'm on the deck enjoying the weather while I type this post.

Hope your weekend is going well and your week is just as good wherever you are.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment