Wednesday, December 23, 2015

The Darkest Day






 Winter Solstice, the shortest day of the year, arrived on Monday.  December here in central Pennsylvania will probably be noted in the record books as the warmest December on record.  With temperatures averaging 10-20 degrees warmer than normal for this time of year, it certainly doesn't seem like December nor does it feel like tomorrow night will be Christmas Eve. Rain started falling on Monday night and today the rain came down all day.  

I spent some time over the weekend and on Monday cleaning up the asparagus bed in preparation for next spring.  It feels good to be able to get to some chores that were pushed aside when I was working and didn't have the time or energy to get to.  

I got a lovely surprise when I went to the library last evening.  I had asked that there be no type of party or celebration when I retired which was part of the reason I simply slipped out one day and didn't return using my vacation time to finish out my time until my official retirement date.  When I was working, most of my coworkers knew that I had been volunteering for my local library for quite a few years.  About two years ago, my supervisor -C, nominated me to receive a community service award at work during a recognition day ceremony based on all my time spent volunteering at the library. Well last evening, the librarian gave me a copy of a letter sent to the library along with a wonderful donation made as a retirement gift in recognition of my work at the library.  What a wonderful, thoughtful gift that was received with much emotion and appreciation by the librarian for use at our library.  A heartfelt thank you will be sent to my coworkers and especially my supervisor, C, who was responsible for spearheading the campaign.  In the meantime, thank you C and everyone else where I worked who made a contribution which benefits my library.

Tomorrow is Christmas Eve.  We will be heading to OnlyDaughter's home early in the morning to spend the holiday with her and the rest of our family there.  Cookies have been baked, gifts made, purchased and wrapped and a few other special foods were also prepared to take along.  Pinterest had some interesting ideas on presenting money as a gift and I ended up ordering a book written by Donna Lang called A Gift for Giving to make booklets to present cash to the grandsons and my Mom.  The instructions were easy to follow and there were a few tips I learned that I will remember if I make them again as gifts.  

Merry Christmas to all and safe travels if you are traveling.

No comments:

Post a Comment