Thursday, December 10, 2015

Over the Turnpike and Through the Tunnels











 It was over the turnpike and through the tunnels, four of them, to OnlyDaughter, OnlySonInLaw and Grandson's #1 and 2 house for Thanksgiving.  We delivered a basket of goodies with Hershey PA items to their house at the end of October to fulfill a request by OnlyDaughter who was in charge of soliciting donations for a silent auction.  The funds raised at the silent auction benefits a program that both grandsons participate in and Grandson #1 already made a trip to France this summer for almost a month as a youth ambassador.  Both boys will be making trips again in 2016 with the program.

At Thanksgiving the traditional foods were enjoyed and the grandsons especially love stuffing. We made sure to make lots of stuffing, both in the bird and in a separate casserole for leftover meals.   I took along two pumpkin pies and one apple pie and the pie leftovers stayed there. 

Our lighted wreath on the side of the garage, which is our only outside Christmas decoration, was plugged into a timer on December 1st and lights up every evening as has been our tradition for several years now.  The house sits so far back from the road that it's the only decoration somewhat visible from the road.

My days since retirement have been spent addressing tasks that seem to have taken a backseat while I was working.  I'd like to turn one of the extra bedrooms into a space where I can work on sewing, crafts, etc.  I'm in the process of going through clothes to donate things I wore to work but won't be wearing any longer.  It's a good feeling to have a clear out and then know that someone else might get some use out of them.  While I haven't been able to shake the 5AM wakeup call that was part of my routine for years, now I can get up, relax, drink a cup of coffee or tea and plan my morning.  Lately that planning has incorporated some trips to pick up items and baking cookies for Christmas  So far the pinwheels, Mexican wedding cakes and chocolate chips cookies are done and the butter is softening for the shortbread cookies. Mr P made a batch of peanut butter fudge too.  A load of laundry is drying nicely outside on the clothesline today and there will be a walk after lunch in the beautiful sunshine.     

I'm enjoying the rhythm of my days since retirement and hope that you are enjoying your days no matter what they bring.  Enjoy this lovely weather while it lasts.





No comments:

Post a Comment