Saturday, January 11, 2014

The Polar Vortex is gone!

No pictures on this post.  Last weekend saw a large part of the US shivering in the cold and Central Pennsylvania was no exception. 
My walking buddies and I managed to walk on Saturday but not on Sunday.  Sunday evening it was windy and suddenly there was a tremendous boom outside.  Too dark and much too windy (the earlier incident that took me out of action for a while was related to a tree branch which makes me cautious about walking in the woods when it's windy in the future) to go outside and investigate but a quick look on the deck showed all was as usual there. 

Cold, cold temperatures moved in and on Monday as I was driving to work at 6AM, the temperature indicator in the car showed 1 degree F.  Brrrrrrrr....   No walking at breaktime in the morning and it was even chilly at work.  A look around outside on Monday revealed that a big tree came down in the woods next to the house the night before and missed the side of the house by about 25 feet.  In the four decades of living in these woods only one small tree has fallen onto a shed next to the house causing minor damage.  How lucky!

Tuesday morning the temperature indicator in the car showed 8 degrees F and it was so chilly in the office that I wore the sweater that I keep at work over the sweater I wore to work.  By Wednesday temperatures began to climb close to freezing and it actually felt balmy.

Up early this morning, one load of laundry is done, breakfast is finished and it's time to start on the usual weekend chores of cleaning, preparing to grocery shop, ironing, etc.  It's gloomy and rainy outside today with heavy rain forecast for later today.  A perfect day for getting things done inside. 

I started knitting another set of fingerless gloves for OnlyDaughter which I will work on this weekend and am almost finished with a book that I checked out at the library on Tuesday evening called The Scavenger's Daughters.  The book is a good read.

Hope you are had a good week and have a good weekend wherever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment