Sunday, July 22, 2012

Time Flies

Gosh!  The past two weeks have flown by quickly.  The movie "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" was showing two weeks ago at a small local theater nearby.  I love Judi Dench and Maggie Smith who had roles in the movies so when I saw it was playing at the West Shore Theater, Mr P and I went to see the movie.  If you are older (as Mr P and I are) you will find you can relate to the situations faced by the characters in the movie.  In short, it was a funny, moving movie with beautiful scenery of India.


The West Shore Theater opened on January 20, 1940 showing "The Secret Life of Dr. Kildare" and the cost to see the movie was 25 cents.  When I was young (much later than 1940!), I would stay for a week or two during summers in New Cumberland with an aunt and uncle, the town where the theater is located.  My two cousins, their sons, and I often walked from their home to the theater to see the latest flick.  I distinctly remember going to see "Brides of Frankenstein" and my cousins and their friends had a grand time sneaking ahead of me on the walk home and laying in wait to scare me in the shrubbery along the route home.

It's a lovely little theater with a lot of old vintage character and appearance and while the cost is more than 25 cents, Tuesdays it's only $2.50 to see a movie and only $3.00 other days of the week.  Matinees are cheaper too.
The town clock across the street from the theater situated in front of the Post Office.  I think it's neat.


Three years ago, Only Son-In-Law graciously invited Mr. P to golf in a scramble for a charity, Muscular DistrophyAssociation (MDA) where he sponsors a team.  The invitation was extended even though Mr. P had only golfed on a miniature golf course up to that point.  Only Son-In-Law was even more generous in outfitting Mr P with a set of clubs, shoes, in short the "whole nine yards" to get him going.  Mr. P signed up for a series of lessons prior to that tournament, has been hooked on golf since.  Weather permitting Mr P tries to get out a least once a week to do 18 holes.

I missed the tournament trip last year because our Labrador, Buckley was having problems getting around but this year I made the trip.  Only Daughter and Only Son-In-Law celebrated their wedding anniversary last month so I made a cake (strawberry per Only Daughter's request) and used a Petal Cake decoration. It was a first time for this type of decoration but not hard to do.   

In one of my previous posts, I shared that I was making something for Only Daughter and Only Son-In-Law and took a pic of the back of the item which was a pillow.  It has since been delivered and so the front can now be revealed.  The pattern was purchased from Helen whose blog is  http://bustleandsew.com/blog/ 
Helen created the pattern for Queen Elizabeth's 60th Anniversary celebration because Queen Elizabeth keeps corgis (Pembroke's which have no tail).  Only Daughter has two corgis (Cardigan's which have tails) so I improvised in making the pillow leaving out the lettering she had included, adding tails and making sure there was a brown and a black corgi, the two colors of corgis that Only Daughter owns.  The dogs do resemble Kirby and Betty and the pillow was given a place on honor in the living room rather than the family room since "the dogs won't be as likely to sit their behinds on the pillow in the living room."
On Friday, Only Daughter, Grandson #1, Grandson #2 and myself went on a field trip to the Aviary.  Grandsons #1 and #2 are pictured below in front of statuary located throughout the Aviary. 
The remainder of the pictures are various birds photographed during our visit but my favorite area was what was referred to as the "blue room" and housed all sorts of songbirds.  The birds flew around the room as we meandered the path, singing, settling into the little wicker baskets and wooden bird houses that are provided as housing.  Their variety was fabulous and the colorings just gorgeous.

 
 


My walking buddy and I got our early morning walks in early both yesterday and today.  Both days, the skies were overcast so there was no beating sun; however, yesterday we walked in a heavy mist which was actually refreshing and high humidity today which made for a sweaty walk. 
I have been getting things together for a short visit that Grandsons #1 and #2 will be making to stay with us early next week.  The bedroom where they will be sleeping is ready for the lodgers and there were some items purchased at the grocery store today that are not usual purchases for Mr P and myself. 
Hope everyone has a nice weekend and good week wherever you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment