Monday, September 1, 2014

See you in September...










Where or where did August go??? 
Grandson #1 turned 14 in early August.  He's almost (or is already) as tall as I am and such a handsome young guy.   Goodies from the garden were harvested and enjoyed.  There is still quite a bit in the garden which is quick a tangle of weeds and plants.  If I devoted every evening until the end of September in weeding, I don't think I would finish weeding the garden and my flower bed out front.  First frost will probably hit before then.
In my last post, I detailed the war being waged against the lily pads in the pond.  As you can see from the first of the month photo, it appears the spray is doing its job.  Mr P stated that he will be in the little blue john boat first thing next spring to spray any lily pads brave enough to try and sprout.  There is lots of algae bloom but that will be addressed next year if it continues to "bloom". 
My Mom celebrated her 88th birthday in mid-August.  We took the annual pic with the siblings that made it to the picnic and my brother's grandson hopped on Great Grandma's lap for the photo op.  Happy, happy Birthday Mom and many, many more.

Lots of signs of the end of summer drawing nigh.  There will be at least 4 nice neck pumpkins to pick and can for baking a pumpkin pie this winter.  Chance had a quick opportunity to explore the back yard a little bit one nice day.  

We held a Labor Day picnic yesterday with family and lots of good food.  Pinochle was the card game of choice after eating and Mom was at her table in the family room for a while working on the latest jig saw puzzle.  
I finished a book this week which was a recommendation on a blog I follow - http://rosylittlethings.typepad.com/.  The book, Little Heathens by Margaret Kralish was delightful.  Even though she was writing about her life growing up during the Depression and this time frame was my Mom and Dad's, there were lots of things that I could relate to and that were things done as I was growing up.  
Hoping you had a safe Labor Day holiday.  
It's not as light out when I leave for work in the morning and the sun sets earlier now.  Fall is right around the corner so enjoy the last vestiges of summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment