Sunday, February 9, 2014

Super Bowl Yummies

It's been quite a week here starting around 10PM on Super Bowl Sunday!
I'll go back to Saturday (the day before) since that's where the pictures start.  I think I mentioned in my previous post that I make a baked item for each of my coworkers in my section for their birthday.  Well, Monday was the first brithday in the roster for this calendar year so I made a pan of lemon bars for the recipient, D.  I used Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa's) recipe which can be found on the Food Network and they were delicious.  There was a comment made at work that they were the best lemon bars this individual had ever tasted. 

I packaged up all but the two (see them on the plate above) in a box in preparation for gifting them to D on Monday, her birthday.  Surprise!  I didn't get to give them to her until Tuesday and the pictures in my next post will show why.

 Let's move on to the menu for our Super Bowl dinner with our friends.  I put all the ingredients into my bread maker (thank you OnlyDaughter) for a loaf of Italian herb bread.  Of course, there is nothing like the smell of baking bread and the joy of eating a warm slice 3 1/2 hours later.
 In my previous post, I mentioned that a trip was made on Saturday to the local farmer's market. Besides some veggies and snack foods I wanted to pick up for Sunday,  Mr P's destination was a bakery where he picked up 1/2 dozen iced pastries.  Two disappeared soon after we got home along with a cup of coffee.
 Speaking of Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa), I used her recipe for Lasagna with Turkey Sausage from her Family Style cookbook for our main entree.  Here is the sauce simmering away.
 Here is the cheese layer.

Here is the finished product ready to pop in the oven.  It was delicious and I enjoyed some of the leftovers for lunch one day during the week and so did Mr. P.  I also made a buttermilk dressing (also from Ina Garten) for over a simple salad and that too was delicious.


And here is the finished product from the breadmaker.  I failed to get a picture of the dessert that our friends brought which is called Punch Bowl Cake.  As its name implies it's assembled in a punch bowl and it's like a trifle.  There are layers of yellow cake, strawberries, strawberry gelatin, vanilla pudding and whipped cream.  It went down a treat.


I'll be back later today with another post filling you in on all the excitement here during the week.
Hoping you are having a good weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment